Tuesday, January 27, 2009

mmmmm, cat food

Yesterday we had a breakthrough on the feeding front. While eating my breakfast (Amy's tofu scramble = yummy) Curran appeared at my side, looking interested. What the hell, I thought, maybe he likes tofu. Well, he spit out the tofu, but actually chewed and swallowed a bite of hash browns. He tottered away, but reappeared a couple of minutes later, his mouth open like a baby bird. I fed him another bite of potatoes. This continued for about 10 minutes, and all told he ingested maybe a tablespoon of food. I was elated.

Fast forward to today. Curran asks to nurse, to which I cheerfully reply, "Why don't we EAT instead?" I of course mean solid food, and Curran happily performs to sign for "eat." I have this brilliant idea to mix breastmilk (hereafter and forevermore BM) with some organic baby rice cereal. So, I put teaspoon of cereal in a cup and proceed to hand express BM into it, which takes about 5 minutes to get a couple of tablespoons. During this process, of course, you cannot help but feel quite bovine, but I had high hopes. I plop down on the floor next to Curran, tell him how yummy it is, and offer a bit on a spoon. And you know what I'm going to say next, don't you?? Of course after all that effort and ingenuity the little fart clamps his jaws shut and turns his head away. After multiple attempts I surrender.

What you aren't anticipating is this: Not 15 minutes later Curran goes tottering into the kitchen. He emerges, holding one cat food bowl in each hand. He sits down and proceeds to suck on his thumb, run his wet thumb all over the inside of the dirty bowl, and then stick it back in his mouth. He then turns to the second bowl and repeats the process.

Now, what you are REALLY not expecting is that I let him. Hey, it's "human grade."

1 comment:

  1. That post made me smile...he's so effing cute it's ridiculous!

    ReplyDelete