Tuesday, February 10, 2009

The twiddling is slowly driving me insane . . . .

I have something to confess.  Curran is a twiddler.  If you don't know what twiddling is, I'm not going to tell you, but I will say it isn't what you think.  If you have ever nursed a baby or have been partners or family to someone who has, you will undoubtedly know what I mean, and can sympathize.  Now if you ARE on of the latter and you are planning on telling me some anecdote about how you simply told your babe that he wasn't allowed and that was the end of the issue, BITE ME.  My kid is incredibly stubborn, and no argument against the practice will sway him.  I've tried suggesting that big boys don't twiddle.  That twiddling isn't worth his time and effort.  That there are far nicer things to do than twiddle, but he will hear none of it.  

So Curran twiddles, and it's my fault.  I thought that a little twiddling wouldn't be a big deal.  In the beginning he used to periodically do it while nursing, and it really didn't bother me.  Plus I'd heard that it's good for your supply so I thought, how bad can it be?  He had this sleepy sort of distracted way of doing it, and it was kind of cute.  Sometimes I didn't even notice, really.  

Now he throws an ever-lovin fit if I intercept him.  He MUST twiddle.  And did I mention he has eternally long fingernails???  He is nursing for longer periods, and therefore twiddling more and more.  I swear I am going to go insane.  I try deep breathing.  I form pictures out of the cracks in the ceiling.  I count backwards from one hundred.  Nothing works.  I have fantasies of making a little baby straight jacket for him, but fear that then CPS would be breaking down my door for SURE.  

No comments:

Post a Comment